Introducing the All-New Revolutionary 2021 K5
On June 30th, 2020 Kia Motors America (KMA) announced the arrival of the Kia K5; an all-new mid-sized sedan, a result of Kia’s unstoppable passion to craft an exceptional driver experience that delivers The Power To Surprise at every turn. Innovation arrives in Canada this fall, when K5 will make its national debut in LX, EX and GT-Line trims. Canadian specs and pricing details will follow, in fall 2020.
A non-traditional, sport-inspired mid-sized sedan, K5 is the catalyst for the transformation of Kia’s next generation line-up, which will be characterized by powerful, angular design, constant renewal, re-imagination and boldness. True to brand roots, Kia introduces a new-age naming convention with the “K5” title, paying homage to original nameplate titles in the brand’s homeland of South Korea.
“K5 is the breath of fresh air that the mid-size sedan segment never knew it needed” says Kia Canada Chief Operating Officer Elias El-Achhab. “We’re anxious to share this innovation with Canadians – K5 delivers the top-of-the-line design finishes drivers love, with the added bonus of turbo performance, a roomy interior and the latest in safety technologies.”
A Daring, New Design – Inside and Out
Kia’s sleek “tiger face” is front and centre on K5, with a wide, thin front grille (with a shark skin inspired mesh design), extending to the headlight structure and underscored by “Heartbeat” LED daytime running lights. K5 boasts a low-slung and fastback silhouette, which is highlighted by a chrome garnish that spans the roofline and wraps around the rear glass. Its three-dimensional front bumper gives the illusion that K5 floats effortlessly, and a long, muscular hood emphasizes short front overhangs.
K5 has a thoughtfully-designed interior to match, with a wide, horizontal cabin characterized by clean lines and visually pleasing yet functional details. A newly-styled infotainment display stretches to the instrument panel, creating a futuristic, three-dimensional layout and driver-centric space. Drivers can customize their sporty interior with a selection of black leather seating, chrome metallic and wood-like finishes, a flat-bottom sport steering wheel and available panoramic sunroof.
At the Root of it All
K5 is underscored – quite literally – by the advanced third-generation “N3” platform. The platform, designed for collision safety, weight reduction and driving performance, will serve as the foundation for future Kia models. This N3 platform provides roomier interior dimensions, suspension geometry optimized for sport handling and improved sound deadening materials. On the K5, it allows the vehicle to sit longer, wider, and lower compared to its predecessor, giving it a low-slung profile.
K5’s exterior dimensions are:
• Length: 4,905mm (193.1 inches)
• Width: 1,860mm (73.2 inches)
• Height: 1,445mm (56.9 inches)
• Wheelbase: 2,850mm (112.2 inches)
Turbo, Traction and Top-Notch Tech
The K5 turbocharged lineup (LX, EX and GT-line) are available in a 1.6-litre turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine producing 180 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. of torque, managed by an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission.
The Engine adopts Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD). An industry first, this piece of technology results in a performance boost and improvement in efficiency thanks to independent control of the valve duration.
Kia engineers further pushed the envelope with an available eight-speed “wet” dual-clutch transmission for fast and precise gear shifts which helps the K5 stand out as a true sports sedan. The 2.5-litre turbocharged GDI + MPI four-cylinder engine making 290 horsepower and 311 lb.-ft. of torque, paired with the new 8-speed “wet” Dual Clutch Transmission will be available in Canada at a later date.
K5’s cutting-edge cabin doesn’t just talk the talk – smart and forward-thinking technology has been integrated to make the driver experience less stressful. New wireless features minimize cord clutter and keep a clean space, while keeping the driver’s eyes on the road. More details include:
• 8- or 10.25-inch high-resolution colour touchscreen
• Split-screen functionality and available satellite radio
• Available 10.25-inch inch touchscreen adds server-based available navigation system with real-time traffic data, more intuitive graphic user interface, new multi-connection Bluetooth wireless connectivity and UVO telematics with connected user profiles
• A first for Kia, wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto cuts the cord on charging cables, meaning drivers can enjoy being connected and charging up without being plugged in (8-inch screen only)
• Premium Audio system available, with 12 high-performance Bose speakers
Kia’s suite of Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)vi now has more to offer, with some of the key features including:
• Standard Forward Collision Warning (FCW): Designed to detect a vehicle in front and in certain conditions, and issue an alert to warn the driver if it senses a potential frontal collision
• Standard Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): Builds on FCW by assisting the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle or object is detected in front
• Standard Driver Attention Warning (DAW)vii: Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver
• Standard Lane Following Assist (LFA): Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane
• Available Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) – Junction Turning (FCA-JT): Assists the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions when turning left and an oncoming vehicle is approaching